Range Safety (from NAR)

Focusing on various aspects of rocketry

Range Safety (from NAR)

Postby Jim Z » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:40 pm

Per the NAR:

Safety Reminders
The Board of Trustees has adopted a policy that, on NAR ranges, the default launch
guide angle shall be 5 degrees (approximately one inch per foot of launch guide)
away from spectators. For local conditions and specific rockets, this angle may
be reset at the discretion of the RSO.
If a "Heads up!" is called, everyone who can see the rocket should point to it.
That will help others in the area locate the rocket and take appropriate action.

Good and sensible guidelines to help keep our spectators and flyers safe! :)
Jim Z
NAR 91938 L2
Jim Z

Re: Range Safety (from NAR)

Postby garmtn » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:37 pm

HPR launch control wires need 2 b secured, either through PVC pipe, under bricks, or a similar setup like we have on "low-power" pad. ;)
garmtn

Postby Jim Z » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:05 pm

Kicked wires do lead to problems, indeed. Most of the high power ranges I have been on don't necessarily rope off a corridor for the wires at the pads, but instead work on the principle of education and awareness. Perhaps it would be good for anyone noticing an issue occurring like this, to address it politely with the person who did it when it happens. Usually people are pretty good at paying head to the range configuration and infrastructure once they are made familiar with it, barring any blonde moments on anyone's part, including me. :lol:

Under Tripoli high power rules, no one under 18 is allowed on the high power range unless they are a certified junior flyer with a mentor. I like the more flexible approach we have under NAR safety code. To make it work more effectively we need not be shy of nudging people when they do something wrong. :)

Some have proposed limiting the number of people who go out with a rocket to load it. In the case of TARC or other groups I think that would deprive them of the educational component that configuring the rocket on the pad offers. Anyone out there though needs to be aware of the inherent risks that the other guys rocket might present, beyond their own. :)
Jim Z
NAR 91938 L2
Jim Z

Postby garmtn » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:21 am

Most garden centers have "mini wickets", like the larger version used in the game "crokay". Very cheap! Paint these orange or hang floures ;) cent tape on them and secure "launch control wires" to the ground. Cheap and dirty.
garmtn

Return to Rockets R Us